Friday, January 21, 2011

More Bad Spine

spine 1 exported

Had my pre-op yesterday. The doctor had a list of things that could go wrong and because this is a major surgery death could happen. I could wake up blind but that’s only a 2% chance of happening. I don’t know how I could live without color. You can’t used a camera when your blind. I’ll miss seeing my forest friends.

He plans to bolt me together from the inside and out or my back side anyways. They will make a 6 inch cut to the right of center. They will push my insides over and pull the discs out and put in holder with bone inside. I believe they will put some other type hardware also. Then I’ll wake up in the intensive care unit with a airway in to help me breath. Sounds like I’m going to be a mess. The next day they will make a foot long cut in my back and move the junk out of the way. That’s what it’s going to be after they put in the hardware and rods to keep me straight. I’ll never be able to bend after that.

I don’t remember which operation will take 8 to 10 hours but one will. The other will be around 5 hours. I don’t think it’s good to be out and under the control of chemicals to keep you out.

4d39b147

Two weeks before surgery and I can still smile and know what lies ahead.

Picture 219

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons license.

No comments: