Friday, January 06, 2006

flooding and more rain.

Just amazing listening to the news people describe the water and rain. One woman news reader compared the river to Lake Michigan. They obviously never been to Michigan before. Wind has been rather bad here, my antennas turned 90 degrees. The creek is a river. There's a creek going through the yard. The tarp over the porch is down. I was going to cover my telescope but the rain kicked up. I saw a woman picking up sand bags on TV. She said there is three inches of water in her house. I have to say, getting sand bags now is to late. You need to prepare for a storm in the summer. That's what I do every year. I spend most of all summer cleaning the forest, moving dirt so water would run off the place. The news people just crack me up with there descriptions. A pond is an inland sea. A creek is a river. A couple of inches of water on a road is a flood. You can always tell a person that never gets out by what they say. I'm going to have to take some picture of the water here as soon as I fix a few things. Need to wrap the camera in a plastic bag.
 
Went outside. Rain slowed a bit but there is gusts with heavy rain. Walked to the park. My ears are still ringing from the sound of water. The creek is doing some serious white water. Even the creek by the house is flowing with white water.
 
Had to tighten up the u-bolt on the antenna. So far it's staying in place. Saw one of my little Buddy's and a squirrel. Nice almost break in the storm. Looks like a large cell coming this way according to the weather map on TV.At least I haven't heard anyone ask the dumbest question I ever heard when I was down south. That was, "Why is there water in the flood basin?"
 
Looks like we got about 10 to 12 inches of rain in Placerville in the last 24 hours. It amazes me how much the news people fabricate the news. There might be a foot of water and they will say it's waste deep.
 
A little squirrel is on the railing eating seeds. She's really packing in the seeds as fast as she can. There's a couple more squirrels eating. Taking advantage of the break in the rain.
 
They say there is another storm still coming. Up in Truckee there is a land slide. What gets me is the news people say, "look there's no traffic" right after they say both lanes are closed.
 
Glad I'm not riding my bike like I used to. Never let a little rain stop me from going anywhere in the rain or snow. Riding a 650 pound bike in the snow is a real challenge. Sure taught me to be water proofed. I think the worst thing was the snow that would gather between my legs and the seat.
 
Not much traffic in town. Still people drive like there has been no rain.
 
Have a leak in the roof. The texture on the ceiling is falling down in the corner of my bedroom. It's the same area that I patched a couple years ago. I went into the attack to see what was leaking, it looked like the valley where the two roofs meet. I check the roof when I went outside but didn't see anything when it was raining.
 
Just saw the stupidest sand bagging job on TV. These people put a line of sand bags in front of their house. Straight across, with no idea that when the water would go around the line of sand bags when it got to them.
 
One reporter said the water was 5 feet deep in his house. When you see the water mark is only a foot high. The reporter only got a few inches inside his place. In the same complex a woman could understand why the water came into here place blaming the county for not warning her.
 
No national news tonight. My antenna turned again so I can't get channel 10 to see what's on it..
 
When you live in a flood plane you should expect your going to get flooded.

No comments: