Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Springs coming, sort of

All the critters are here this sunny cold morning. Eleven male turkeys and a herd of hens and young males still with mom. Looks like I need another salt block a little squirrel is licking the picnic table where the block was before it melted in the last rain. Been trying to get a picture of this nuthatch, he has an orange breast. Sort of cute the way the squirrels look in the house at me looking at them. Spring is coming and it's making me feel more alive as more light warms the earth. Still cold outside but it really gives you the feeling of change.
 
It was cute last night when the turkeys all left, the doves came walking in. It was a herd of them all sneaking in to get the last eats before it gets dark.
 
They say it's going to rain today but you couldn't tell by the way it looks right now. No telling what's blowing this way. The clouds hang on the side of the foothills below me. Going to try to put the porch tarp back up today. Need a spring to take up the slack when the tree moves that hold the cable. Last storm it snapped a 1/2 inch cable like it was nothing.
 
I only see a dove puffed up eating now. The morning rush for food is over time to pick feathers in the sun. I'm ready for my next cup of coffee, some dark, rich, dark French roast. I want to go outside and dance in the sun like I saw the turkeys doing. If I have time I might go into town to see about some grass seed. Not sure what will grow here. Maybe something sort of natural.
 
I noticed while the sun light was slipping away for winter, I started eating a lot of junk foods. In fact I was craving foods I never eat the rest of the year. Maybe it has something to do with hibernating in out historical past. Or that it helps get us through the cold time when we need more calories.

No comments: